Penang (Red) Curry with Coconut Milk
This is my favorite Thai dish. I just love its sweet and spicy taste! It took me some time to figure out the recipe. I was really surprised to find out there are only 3 main ingredients necessary to reproduce this special taste: Curry paste, Coconut milk and the Thai basil.
I made it the same as in my favorite Thai restaurant in Paris: with red paprika and figs. It goes really well with rice cooked with roasted sesame seeds.
For 2 big (or 3 little) portions you will need:
♥ 5 little spring onions
♥ 7 branches of Thai Basil
♥ 400ml coconut milk
♥ 250ml water
♥ 1-2 tablespoons Penang Curry
♥ 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
♥ 150g Tofu (or turkey/chicken breast)
♥ 1 clove garlic: squeezed
♥ 1 tablespoon sesame oil
♥ 1/2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
♥ 1 tablespoon soya sauce
To serve with:
♥ 200g white rice (such as Basmati)
♥ 1-2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
1. Slice your meat/tofu into small cubes (around 1-2cm) and marinate in the mix of sesame & rapeseed oil with soya sauce and garlic. Tofu is ready in 5min. Meat needs 1h.
2. After the marination time, transfer all the tofu/meat together with the marinade onto a hot frying pan.
If you cooking with tofu it will need really short time. You just need to fry it a bit and make the garlic aroma come out. If you are preparing the meat, sear it until it is no more pink inside. Stir all the time and make sure the garlic do not get burn. When done, put it aside.
3. Heat up a mixture of sesame and rapeseed oil in a walk. Add chopped spring onions and half of the Thai basil. Sear it for 1 minute.
4. Add curry paste. Sear it for another 1 minute.
5. Add the coconut milk and mix it well. Bring it to a boil.
6. Add slices paprika and meat (but not Tofu!) and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5min.
7. Add sliced figs, tofu, leftover Thai basil & lemon juice. Simmer for another 5minutes. If you havn’t prepare the rice in advance, cover the curry coconut dish mix your uncooked rice with sesame seeds and follow these instructions to cook it.