Tarte aux Pommes is probably the most popular dessert in the north-west regions of France: Brittany and Normandy. These regions have many apple orchards and these fruits are widely used in cooking. This French Apple Pie is a delicious, easy and cheap to prepare dessert!
For one tart (24cm of diameter) you will need:
♥ 150g flour (1 glass)
♥ 75g butter
♥ 2 egg yellows
♥ grated lemon skin from half a lemon
♥ 1 spoon sugar
♥ 2-3 Apples
♥ 2 egg yellow
♥ 2 spoons of cream (eg. 30% of fat)
♥ 1 spoon sugar
♥ 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
♥ grated lemon skin from half a lemon (can be substituted with an orange one!)
1. Combine all ingredients for the crust. It will take some time but don’t give up, in the end you will get a nice dough. IMPORTANT: prevent the dough to get worm. All ingredients should be cold so the dough is crispy after backing.
2. Using your hands make sure the dough covers entire tart form (again, use the silicon one and I love it!). Then with a fork do some holes in the dough (so it stays flat while backing).
3. Bake at 180′C for 10min.
4. Cut apples in slices.
I first cut each apple into 8 pieces and then each of these I cut into another 3-4 slices.
5. Before you start decorating your tart with apple you can (but it’s really optional!) put some jam on the bottom (it can be an apple, orange or raspberry jam).
6. Now mix egg yellows with cream, sugar, cinnamon powder and grated lemon skin. Pour it over apples.
7. Bake it at 180′C for 30min. After this time pour some butter on the tart and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Put it back to the oven for another 5min to caramelize the sugar.