Elephant ears cookies (fr. Palmiers; de. Schweineohren)
These are probably the simplest cookies in the world. Especially if you plan to buy your puff pastry at the supermarket. All you need is some sugar and puff pastry. In Germany they like them with chocolate on the edges.
You can also try the variation with Fig Jam! 🙂
You will need:
♥ Puff pastry (here is how to do it at home)
♥ some sugar (I used brown sugar)
♥ chocolate (70%) (optional!)
1. Roll out the puff pastry (a bit thinner than 0,5cm) into a rectangle around 40cm long. Using a pizza cutter (or just a knife) straighten the edges.
2. Sprinkle it with sugar and roll it over with a rolling-pin once (so the sugar does not detach that easily from the dough).
3. With your finger put a mark more or less in the middle of the rectangle. Then roll up both sides together so that they meet in the middle.
4. Now wrap them in aluminium foil and put them to the freezer for 5 to 10min. It will make the dough harder and easier to cut. Cut the dough into thin (around 1cm thick) slices and place them on a baking paper.
6. Bake in a preheated (220’C) oven for around 15min (until they get golden-brown).
7. Now, if you would like them in chocolate you can melt some and dip them in. Leave them to cool down so the chocolate gets hard again. Enjoy!!! 🙂