I love those puffy & fluffy sweet treats and I got really happy when I learned you can actually make your own marshmallows! And these homemade one are much “healthier”! No need for conservants and other artificial compounds.
I adapted the recipe from David Lebovitz and it worked super well! Surprisingly quick to prepare!
PLEASE visit our Facebook page and LIKE us to stay in touch! (New posts every day!)
(Please LEAVE A COMMENT if you feel like )
I made a little portion using:
♥ 10g gelatine
♥ 50ml water
♥ 125ml sugar (110g)
♥ 2 egg whites
♥ 3 tablespoons your favorite pink syrup (grenadine, raspberry)
♥ 3 tablespoons icing sugar
♥ 3 tablespoons corn starch
♥ drop of pink food colorant (optional)
1. In a saucepan mix sugar and water. Bring it to the boil. Keep it at medium heat without stirring. When sugar will start to caramelize you will see big bubbles. It should take more than 5min.
2. In a meantime beat the egg whites until stiff.
3. As soon as your syrup turns slightly darker (brownish) remove it from the heat. (Watch out It is SUPER HOT! Do not touch it with your fingers!).
Slowly pour it into your beaten egg whites while stirring vigorously (the best is to use your food processor!) all the time.
4. Add gelatine. First you need to leave the gelatin in cold water for 5 min. It will become elastic. Then transfer it to another cup and pour 2 spoons of boiling water over it. It should dissolve very easily. Add it (teaspoon by teaspoon) to your egg whites and stirr well.
5. Add syrup and eventually a colorant (I love this one- a little drop is enough to give a nice color!).
6. Mix the cornstarch with icing sugar and prepare the dish for your marshmallows. I filled it with baking paper and sprinkled with some of the flour/sugar mix. Pour the marshmallow and leave in the fridge overnight.
7. Next day, remove it from the form and slice it into pieces of your choice. I used my cookie cutters to make them in a shape of snow flakes. It looks really pretty in your winter coffee or chocolate.