Chard with a Cheesy Béchamel Sauce
Like other green leafy vegetables chard is very healthy. It is full of vitamins A, K and C. In my opinion it resembles spinach a lot. And same as spinach it can be really delicious if well prepared!
Here is how French do it! Simple, light and delicious with the famous Béchamel sauce.
For 2 portions:
♥ 400g chard
♥ 1 spoon of butter
♥ 1 spoon of flour
♥ 185g (3/4 glass) of milk
♥ 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
♥ 2 spoons of grated cheese (eg. Gouda)
1. Separate leaves from stalks.
2. Slice stalks and put them into a boiling water for 5 min. (they should become slightly transparent and more elastic).
3. Slice the leaves. Put them on the hot pan to reduce their water. Do not put salt yet (here you want the leaves to release the water and adding salt do the opposite).
4. Mix stalks and leaves. Stir them on the hot pan for another 5min.
5. To do the Béchamel sauce you need to start with melting butter and mixing it with flour. Do it all an a medium hot stove (it’s easy to burn the sauce).
6. Now slowly, and while constantly stirring, add milk. Keep stirring until the sauce start to boil. In the end the sauce will get thick. In the end add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the nutmeg.
7. Put vegetables in an ovenproof bowl and pure the sauce over it. Bake 15min at 180’C.
Bon appétit! 🙂