Pasta with carrots and garlic
This hearty and comforting pasta dish is on the blog since 2014 when I was a poor student, living in beautiful but very expensive Paris. At the time I was looking for quick and healthy meal ideas on a budget.
Pasta with Carrots and Garlic might not sound too impressive but by adding crunchy breadcrumbs and a creamy and noutricious egg I managed to make it truely delicious!
You can skip the egg and you have a yummy VEGAN dish.
Check out my VIDEO for detailed instructions ♥
For 2 portions:
♥ 120 g pasta of your choice
♥ 400g carrots
♥ 2 shallots
♥ 1 large clove garlic
♥ olive oil
♥ 2-3 slices of bread (can be old and dry)
♥ few branches of fresh marjoram (or 2 tsp driend marjoram or oregano)
♥ salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash and peel the carrots. Slice half of the carrots. Grate the remaining carrots using big eyes of the grater. This will give us two different textures after cooking.
2. Chop the shallots.
3. In a big pot (I used my cast iron casserole but you can use any pot) heat up a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and add the carrots and the shallots. Season it with salt and let it brown over a medium heat until the carrots get a bit softer.
4. During that time cook the pasta and prepare the breadcrumbs.
Pasta cooking: Check the instructions on its packaging and cook the pasta for 1 minute less than indicated (it will finish cooking once mixed with carrots). RESERVE half a cup of water from pasta cooking.
Breadcrumbs: cut your bread into smaller pieces/crumbs. I use my mini food processor to do that but you could do with a grater or simply with a knife. Next, roast them until golden on a dry frying pan. To finish add olive oil and sprinkle with flaky salt.
5. When carrots are brown and the biggest pieces a bit softer add half a cup of water from pasta cooking to deglaze the pot.
6. Add cooked pasta, chopped marjoram (or the dried herbs) and the thinly chopped clove of garlic. Mix a bit and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes on low heat.
7. To finish mix with breadcrumbs.
8. I serve it with a poached egg and some fresh marjoram.