Orange Cinnamon Rolls
It is a perfect treat for colder autumn days. Those pull apart cinnamon rolls with orange zest are deliciously soft. I love their lemony creamy frosting.
As a bonus, your entire home will smell like heaven!
I used a round cake form (22cm of diameter and 6cm tall)
You will need:
♥ 350g flour
♥ 8g dried yeast (or 16g of fresh one)
♥ 100ml warm milk (but not hot)
♥ 2 tablespoon homemade vanilla sugar
♥ 2 eggs + 1 egg yellow
♥ 35g soft butter
♥ pinch of salt
♥ brown sugar
♥ orange zest from 1 orange
♥ 3 tablespoons cream (at least 30% fat)
♥ 2 tablespoons sugar
♥ lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
♥ 1 tablespoon lemon juice
All ingredients (but milk) should be in the room temperature. Put them out of the fridge at least one hour before you start.
1. In a bowl mix the yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar and warm (not hot) milk. Leave it under cover for 15min (to activate the yeast).
2. In a big bowl mix the flour, vanilla sugar, eggs, pinch of salt, soft (or melted but not hot) butter and activated yeast. Use a big spoon or your food processor to combine all ingredients.
3. Now using your hands (or if you are more lucky and have a robot- using a hook shaped ends) knead the dough.
If you do it by hand powder them with some flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
4. The dough will be a bit sticky and very elastic. Sprinkle it with a bit of flour and cover the bowl with with a towel (to prevent from drying). Leave in a warm place for around one hour. It should double its size.
5. After this time roll out the dough into a rectangle (30x50cm, 1cm thick).
6. Sprinkle it with brown sugar, cinnamon and orange zest. Roll it and cut into 4-5cm thick slices. Put them into the baking form (with some baking paper on the bottom) and leave for around 15min. Bake at 180’C for around 25-30min. To check if the cake is done inside insert a wooden toothpick in its center. If it comes out clean (no humide pieces of dough) it is ready!
7. While baking prepare the frosting. Mix the cream, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Bring it to the boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
8. After baking leave the cake for about 10min to cool a little bit down. Remove it from the baking form. Sprinkle it with icing still when it is hot.