Sweet Lemon Polish Bread/Cake
The smell of this bread made with eggs, yeast and milk I associate with my grandma’s house. When I was little I loved it with glass of milk and some strawberry jam. Today I rather have it with a cup of coffee. 😉
It also can be used to do some French Toasts!
For a rectangular form (of around 25x10cm):
♥ 350g flour
♥ 8g dried yeast (or 16g of fresh one)
♥ 100ml warm milk (but not hot)
♥ 1 tablespoon regular sugar
♥ 2 tablespoons icing sugar (+ some extra for decoration)
♥ 1 tablespoon of homemade vanilla sugar
♥ 2 eggs + 1 egg yellow
♥ 35g soft butter
♥ pinch of salt
For Lemon filling:
♥ 30g butter
♥ grated lemon skin from 1 lemon
♥ icing sugar (optional)
1. In a bowl mix the yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar and warm (not hot) milk. Leave it under cover for 15min.
2. In a big bowl mix the flour, vanilla sugar, eggs, pinch of salt, soft (or melted) butter and activated yeast. Use a big spoon or your food processor to combine all ingredients.
3. Now using your hands (or if you are more lucky and have a robot- using a hook shaped ends) knead the dough.
If you do it by hand powder them with some flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
4. The dough will be a bit sticky and very elastic. Sprinkle it with a bit of flour and cover the bowl with with a towel (to prevent from drying). Leave in a warm place for around one hour. It should double its size.
5. Roll the dought out into a large rectangles (eg.25x40cm) and slice it into 5 smaller rectangles.
6. Melt the butter and add to it the grated lemon skin.
7. Use the butter/lemon mix to put between layers of the dough. You can also sprinkle it with some icing sugar (optional).
8. Now, when all layers are on on the other, cut it into another 5 pieces.
9. Put them all in the form (I use a silicon form, but if you use a metallic form then you should butter it before putting the dough in).
10. Now there is still quite some free space in the form. It’s perfect! Leave it (covered with a towel) in a warm place for another 30min (or even 1h if you have time). After this time the dough will growth even more!
11. Bake it at 180’C for 20-25min. Watch it time to time to make sure the top isn’t getting too dark.
12. Wait a bit so the Bread cools down. You can pull slices apart with your fingers!